August 18, 2010

Am I normal?

Since finding out we were pregnant, I don’t think it has officially sunk in yet. Rich and I both know it’s true based off of the many pregnancy tests we took, but for some reason it still doesn’t seem real.

Today marks five weeks. I think the main reason why it doesn’t feel real is because of the lack of symptoms. Even before we found out, we’ve been getting book after book from the library, and I’m finding it extremely difficult to focus at work due to the limitless information the interwebs has to offer. Needless to say I’ve been reading a lot and at this stage in pregnancy I should be experiencing the symptoms full force. Because I’m not, this leads me to wonder if I’m normal?! (Rich, this question doesn’t apply to you.)

I guess I had quite a few symptoms some weeks ago before even knowing the wonderful news. Right now I just get a little tired in the middle of the day (nothing a 45 minute nap can’t fix), my appetite is out of control, and the tiggles are pretty swollen and sore. Can’t imagine these things ballooning another cup size or two. Yikes!

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t really feel pregnant, and until I get the “real” symptoms it won’t feel like a reality. I just need that reassurance, but we’ll get that in exactly one week. Next Wednesday, 8/25, we have our first appointment with the OB doctor. I’m very anxious to have our first ultrasound too... I want to be put at ease and just ensure everything looks good. What a scary feeling. I keep going back and forth with the excited, anxious, and worrisome emotions.


                                                           5 weeks

3 comments:

  1. as you know, i couldn't be happier for you! really. it's just not possible! i think i probably think about it everyday too, with so much excitement and anticipation.

    a word of warning (i'll reallllly try to keep these to a minimum!) : those books and websites will drive you nuts! when i was pregnant, dave threatened to take every book about pregnancy out of the house (no internet back then) and he began calling "what to expect..." the "devil spawn"! i know it's nearly impossible because you can't stop thinking about it all, but try not to worry too much about what the book says you "should" be feeling. i would just OBSESS over having maybe 2 of the 7 things you "should" be feeling! if you can practice not getting too cray-cray with the pg books, you'll be in a better position to deal with the next phase: baby books, with their oh-so-helpful lists of milestones your *baby* should be hitting!

    we are so thrilled about the whole thing. thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im very excited to meet my little beamdip!!! we'll have to go to somewhere cool around town to snap some pics of you when you're lookin all preg! :-o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lib, you're so right! I've now limited myself to only one book. It's really hard not to take what you read into consideration, but after our first doc visit, I now feel at ease.

    Bizz, beamdip can't wait to make an entrance!

    ReplyDelete